Tuesday 8 April 2008

Shannon

Some stories just keep on giving.

The Shannon Matthews tale is rapidly evolving into one of the most fascinating rolling news stories for years, and tonight's announcement that her mum has been charged with perverting the course of justice and child neglect means there's plenty more to come.

I'm a bit jealous of the journalists in West Yorkshire who have such a great story on their doorstep, but at the same time I'm glad I don't have to wrestle with the problem of editing a weekly paper with a story that changes every day.

Anyhow, you may wonder why I'm writing about that rather than my working week. The simple answer is I'm having the kind of spell at work that would make for an even more boring blog entry than the time - amid a bout of writer's block - I listed the entire contents of my desk drawers.

Suffice to say, I'm wrapped up in the kind of time-consuming legal issues, IT headaches and strategy meetings that leave me precious little time to look at the content of the paper.

In fact, I'm handing full control of this week's Advertiser to content editor Andy Worden so if you don't like it, blame him. (Or take a leaf out of Shirley High pupils' book and have a pop at us online instead!)

No comments: