Friday 20 June 2008

Pow, pow, pow

Obviously I can't leave the office today in case I fall foul of Alex's gangsta pals, so I'll spend a bit of time seeing what else is going on from the safety of my desk.

First to Fairfield. I usually get criticised whenever I say anything negative about our premier entertainment venue's line-up, so I'm pleased they've got some big names like Jimmy Carr on the way.

But I can't let one particular show due to take place in September pass without comment - the Best of British Variety Tour 2008.

For one night only you can see the following names sharing the stage: The Brotherhood of Man; Paul Daniels; The Krankies; Frank Carson; Jimmy Cricket and Cannon & Ball.

I spent an uncomfortable evening in the company of Frank Carson in a marquee at Selhurst Park once as he made a series of jokes that may not have been entirely appropriate for our cosmopolitan town, and I had an unfortunate interview experience with the Krankies when I was a trainee reporter that I'm still too traumatised to recount.

Never the less, there's something quite so horrific about that line-up that I find myself bizarrely tempted to attend. Word magazine sum it up better than I can here.

Moving on, and they must have different copyright laws in Scotland as the Daily Record clearly has no qualms about copy and pasting stories from our site onto their one and passing if off as their own work. I'm sure they cheque's in the post. Or maybe not.


Finally after Wednesday's post about Tony Newman's YouTube debut, I'm delighted to see viewing figures have shot up from five to 44. You can still have a look for yourself here

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr Carter wrote:
>>>
... they must have different copyright laws in Scotland as the Daily Record clearly has no qualms about copy and pasting stories from our site onto their one and passing if off as their own work.
<<<

That's a bit rich from the paper/website whose news editor claimed BB Alex's departure as a "scoop", after I had pointed out to her the coverage on Press Association

Ian said...

That's not quite the same as lifting big chunks of copy word for word though.

Anonymous said...

Of course not. It is just claiming something as your own, when it is not.

The most misleading word used in newspapers: "Exclusive". Always very wary of any newspaper, or website, that overuses it.

Anonymous said...

Like this week's "Exclusive" story about Andrew Pelling....