Tuesday 17 June 2008

New website

As I mentioned last week, we're gearing up to relaunch the thisiscroydontoday website very soon.

I know we only seem to have had this one for five minutes, but you can't stand still in this business and the new site will be more user-friendly and Google-friendly.

We're taking the opportunity to add a host of fresh content to the site, and some of the editorial team - including news editor Jo - have been taken off-diary ahead of the launch.

Jo will be tracking the progress throughout via Twitter, and for those of you unfamiliar with it, she explains it below in her own words.

"Twitter has been described as micro-blogging, but anyone familiar with Facebook will probably recognise it as being more akin to that site’s status updates. Twitters basically send brief updates as to what they are doing whenever they want, which other twitters can sign up to follow.

"Twitter has been causing a stir amongst bloggers and mediawatchers lately. Last month, news of the Chengdu earthquake broke on twitter hours before other more traditional media organisations picked up on it.

And closer to home, Marc Reeves, the editor of the Birmingham Post, was the first to break news of the arrest of Karren Brady, MD of Birmingham City on corruption allegations in April. (I've had a brief look at Marc's offerings, and most of them seem to involve him talking about Dire Straits - Ian.

"I'm now a fully fledged twitter, and will be tweeting regularly through the next few weeks to share my thoughts on rebuilding the site – and inviting responses from anyone who wishes to comment or suggest what they wish (or to generally let me know what is going on in and Croydon). To find out what I'm tweeting about, visit www.twitter.com, search for me as jowadsworth, and click follow."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two big web sites (ours and yours) re-launching around the same time - That could be interesting

Unknown said...

Ian: that's a vile slur. I don't think I've mentioned Dire Straits once. I am guilty, though, of sometimes ranting (ie when my car was broken into), and occasionally grumping about work and the weather. Most of the time, though, Twitter is a really useful tool for keeping in touch with hundreds of contacts - and potential readers. Are you thinking of launching a breaking news servie too? Marc

Anonymous said...

Hopefully it will have RSS on it too! I hate having a second rate news feed as my source of local news.

Ive been amused by how searching for Croydon in Google News search has never brought much up from you guys but acres from you know who.

Ian said...

Marc - I'm SURE you mentioned Dire Straits when you were sitting in an airport last week? Maybe I imagined it. Breaking news - yes, I think it's got real potential.
SV - yes, it certainly should have an RSS feed.
Anon - keeps things interesting! At least there's plenty of news to go round in Croydon...