Thursday 12 June 2008

Hindsight

I'm glad the print version of the Advertiser has a substantially bigger readership than this blog.

At least that means not every reader will be able to laugh and point at a post from earlier this week when they see tomorrow's front page.

You may recall I said I couldn't envisage a day when we put a Big Brother contestant on the front page of the Advertiser.

Well, maybe I spoke to soon. I'm sure you can work the rest out for yourself.

In all honestly, I couldn't bring myself to put another murder on the front page, and went with the next best option.

As punishment I've banned myself from tomorrow's Press Gazette awards, where we are competing for the weekly newspaper of the year title. I'm sending my deputy Andy Worden and reporter Ross Lidbetter instead.

If any bookmakers are laying odds on the winner - which I doubt they are - lump some money on the Bath Chronicle.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. Surely you could have at least found someone suffering a parking ticket nightmare. Always good when news is thin.

Anonymous said...

Yes, you are supposed to be a News Paper, not some tacky gossip or celeb sheet.

How could you?

Jesse Ward must be turning in his grave for this.

Anonymous said...

You have to give readers what they want, and people want gossip. Times are a changing.

Anonymous said...

As they said in a recent edition of Peep Show, it makes a change from the kebab shop stabbings in the Advertiser.

Ian said...

Two for, two against. (Although, as I type this, I've just had a text from our former newspaper sales manager who says 'Good front page, that should pick up extra sales.' Mind you, I've also had an email on an unrelated matter calling me a 'dunderhead'.
As for Jesse Ward, he operated in far simpler times when you didn't have to worry about the web and shifting demographics.

Anonymous said...

Tehehehe. Do you mind if I said "I told you so".

As for the Jesse Ward remark, Mr Carter: he also knew what a decent story was when it came hurtling towards him at 150mph

Anonymous said...

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=41420&c=1

Looks like you called something else wrong, too, Mr Carter