Monday 11 February 2008

Round the bend

Like anybody else who works for a reasonably big company, I have to jump through a few hoops to keep the HR department off my back.

An example is the online driving appraisal I've just had to complete in order to be allowed to continue my daily commute to the far-flung corners of our mini media empire.

I thought I might be in trouble given I'm a pretty awful driver and have the concentration level of a two-year-old when it comes to exams, but my fears soon disappeared when I saw the first multiple choice question.

It asked - and I swear to god this is true - the following question:

Somebody cuts you up at a traffic light. Do you a) Drive after them flashing your lights and waving your fist or b) Ignore their bad driving and continue your journey in a calm and collected manner?

The second question was even trickier, asking bluntly: What kind of driver are you? a) Careful and well mannered or b) Aggressive.

The shocking thing isn't that I only scored 90%, it's that I've been told at least two Advertiser reporters managed to fail altogether. (Both female, although I'm sure that's just an unhappy coincidence.)

The only other news this week is that I am suffering from a cold - and when I say cold I'm talking about a real humdinger of a bug that's left me shivering, sweating and hallucinating for the past three days.

My spaced-out feeling wasn't helped earlier when I finished a phone conversation with Epsom MP Chris Grayling (hands free, obviously), turned on the car radio and heard the self-same Mr Grayling chatting live to Talk Sport host Jon Gaunt mere milliseconds later. That nearly was enough to make me crash.

Finally, it's been brought to my attention that you can't leave comments on this blog any more unless you sell your soul to Google first and sign up for one of their email accounts.

Sorry about that - I trust Google even less than Facebook - and I'll hunt for an alternative home.

No comments: