Thursday 14 February 2008

I hate typos in newspapers - they drive me potty.

Despite the various emails and letters I get on a regular basis, I DO actually read the Advertiser before it goes to print, thank you very much, and try to ensure it is error-free.

Mistakes do occasionally creep in, but we're not as bad as some. (If you want to see missing punctuation marks or sentences petering out midway through, have a look at the Daily Mirror's sports section for a few days in a row).

This is a bit of a self-serving blog entry, because I'm just trying to get my defence in early in case of mistakes in tomorrow's paper. Thanks to the new editorial system holding things up, I had to push pages through far quicker than normal, and we were still two hours late.

Still, good paper - I think. Nobody else seemed to want to splash the story that I led with, which is a bit worrying as my brain is a bit over-tired this week, but we'll see.

Despite my worries yesterday, nobody's phoned up to give me an earful for turning the Surrey Mirror tabloid yet - in fact everyone's been very positive.

There were only a handful of minor teething issues, and one headline I regretted re-writing when I saw it in print.

Without wanting to lower the tone, I'm not sure the words 'flappy' and 'cock' ever sit very comfortably together in a headline, even if you are writing about the first birthday of the Dorking Cockerel (don't ask).

No comments: