Thursday 21 February 2008

Deadlines

I've got a bad feeling about this week's paper.

In fact, I've had a bad feeling about this week full-stop ever since I was pulled over by some chump of a police officer on my way to a wedding reception, and subjected to a random roadside spotcheck that only just stopped short of the rubber glove treatment.

Honestly, you'd have thought he was starring in The Wire rather than hassling motorists on a cold night in Crawley town centre.

Anyway, I digress. The reason I've got a bad feeling about this week's paper is because of the ongoing Sally Anne Bowman trial.

For obvious legal reasons I can't say much about the trial, apart from that the judge is expected to begin his summing up today, after which the jury will retire to consider its verdict.

Given the timing (and our early afternoon deadline) this obviously presents us with all sorts of difficulties in ensuring our coverage is as up to date as possible.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Typical. Too many police. I really appreciate the fact we have record police numbers, its just that I really hate it when they pull ME over... twice recently...

Once by a police van that looked like it was not road worthy...

On the other hand it amuses me that more police cars have this automatic number plate recognition system built in. The looks on the faces of those that are pulled over and suprise suprise they dont have insurance, road tax etc.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the officer of the law was only doing his sworn duty. We can't have Croydon people cluttering up the streets of Crawley, can we?

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that you'll just publish a couple of revealing photo's of the poor girl to make up for any actual report.
I do wonder whether, if Miss Bowman looked like the back of a bus, or if she'd only modelled overcoats you'd have found it quite so neccessary to plaster her photos all over your paper.
Give her familly and friends a break and just print the facts of the story.

Anonymous said...

Interesting point re: Sally Anne and whether she would have had so much media coverage had she not been a model. Honest answer - probably not.