Wednesday 2 July 2008

Baseball pt 2


I've been taken to task by a reader for daring to suggest yesterday that baseball is something of a minority interest in the UK.

In an email to our sports editor, he succinctly states: "I think your editor ought to realise there are a few hundred players and families of players of Croydon who are also readers. Positive copy sells local papers not negative."

Fair comment, although in my defence I'd say that I still think I'm right.

I'm not completely ignorant when it comes to baseball having once sat through an Oakland A's game, even if most of the spectators seemed more interested in how many giant pretzels they could fit into their mouths than anything happening on the pitch/field/grid.

Anyway, I think I'll leave that well alone from now on.

Something else I'm leaving well alone is the newsdesk, which appears to be nearing boiling point right now.

A series of big stories are breaking at precisely that point in the week when the subs begin bombarding them with queries about dates of flower shows and the like. It's looking like a strong paper this week though - more tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Of course you're right that baseball is a minority interest in the UK.

However, you also have one of the country's top clubs on your patch - one which has won national championships and played in European competitions.

How frequently does the Advertiser note the achievements of this dedicated bunch of athletes who happen to play an unusual sport?